KMEA All-State Info
KMEA All-State Instrumental Live Auditions for All-State Bands, All-State Jazz Band, All-State Orchestra will be held Jan. 9, 2016, at Salina-Central High School.
The weather contingency date will be one week later on Jan. 16.
Important dates for 2015-2016:
- Mini-Convention I, Hays High School (JH Choir/Band, HS Jazz)
- Mini-Convention II, Fort Hays State University (HS Band/Choir)
New in 2015-2016 -
HS Band auditions must be registered by the posted deadline.
Check the calendar page
for the complete 2015-16 NWKMEA calendar.
Hello Northwest Kansas,
Yes, it is time to begin the school year once again. I hope
you had a restful and relaxing summer. Soon the percussion
will be sounding from the field while the solfege flows from
our choir rooms. As we begin selecting repertoire for our
classes, I encourage you to continue to visit our website.
The deadlines are posted under the calendar tab.
Something new and fun is in the works! KMEA is embarking
on a new state level choir for elementary. I would encourage
you to go to the state website
for the details. It is going to
be a great opportunity for our student to have a top notch
musical experience with an exceptional clinician.
If you are new to our district, I would like to extend you a
welcome. This district has numerous occasions to become
involved with our organization. We have a variety of honor
groups for your students. I encourage you to participate as it
is way to meet others in the profession with similar duties
and experiences. Our district also has a mentoring program.
I hope you consider participation. Just click on the
mentoring tab for more information.
We are in the process of drawing up bylaws for the district.
They are going to be posted under the tab labelled "About"
upon their completion. It is our intention to vote these in at
our district December business meeting. Please consider
attending the 1:00 meeting in Palmer Hall at Fort Hays State
University. We would like to see a large showing as to allow
for all to express their views.
Finally, please don't hesitate to contact the chair people or
myself if you have any questions. We are here to serve our
students and our teachers.
Stacey Williams, District President
Change to NWKMEA Bylaws
These are all under Duties of Officers and Policies:
- Page 10-Under duties of President-delete #11 (this duty is now the responsibility of the Past President)
- Page 11-Under Immediate Past President-#4 add October 1st after posted deadline.
- Page 17-under Julie Groom Memorial Scholarship add after Application forms are on the District Website. (Upon receipt of applications the Executive Committee will determine recipients.)
- Page 18-under school responsibilities #3 add at the end - The Honor Orchestra is shared with the Southwest District. On the years that the Northwest District hosts the Honor Orchestra students will only be allowed to audition for one honor group.)(This is High School only.)
- Page 18-Under Act of God add a complete section titled:
Exception: Any absence due to an emergency conflict for Live Choral Auditions must be approved by the Northwest Executive Committee plus the Choral Chair.
- Page 19-This a continuance from Student Responsibilities from page 18.
Number 4 and 5 are combined into:
TO BE ELIGIBLE TO AUDITION FOR DISTRICT ENSEMBLES,
VOCALISTS AND INSTRUMENTALISTS MUST BE ENROLLED
IN A CHORAL OR INSTRUMENT PERFORMANCE CLASS AT A
SCHOOL IN THE KMEA NORTHWEST DISTRICT AT THE TIME
OF AUDITIONS AND AT THE TIME OF THE PERFORMANCES
OF THE DISTRICT ENSEMBLES. STUDENTS MUST ALSO BE
ELIGIBLE ACCORDING TO KSHSAA RULES.
New Teachers! (also not-so new!)
Be sure to check out the New teacher's Handbook on the KMEA website
). This exciting
new area is full of great suggestions, help contacts, and helpful reminders. It will be a valuable
tool for ALL of us! Be sure to check this out! While you're at the KMEA website, you can find more
about our mentoring program, plus lots of information about our state organization.